Monday 10 December 2012

A Moral Degradation in Jakarta

Going to gym has effectively taken out my stress tonight. I think I made an excellent choice by registering myself as a member in Fitness First (despite its expensive price). Some hours before, I was having a stress-out attack again after checking some kos-kosan around my office. It is freaking me out even just to imagine living in an only 2x2 meter square room. In fact, my claustrophobia would eventually prevent me trying the option of living in the smaller place just to save more money. I am more convince now that I can spend some more money on accommodation, but please just don’t make me feel depress.

Thank God with my present salary, I can afford for a decent accommodation while still could manage to save some amount of money (not to mention I am about to leave this country in some few months). But how about those people whose salary is just not that much? How will they save the money if they rent a room in the area where I live at present? I don’t think they can save money if they do so. And if they want to live thrifty they have to stay in the place that out of normal standard.

Since everyone is doing the same thing in Jakarta (live in a very small space just to save more penny), they don’t think it’s a problem anymore. But I DO!

What about those rich people? Those who live in a very big modern place, whose toilet even bigger than the normal living room? They don’t care! Why should they? They never experiencing that way of life previously. Plus usually since early age they went to the international school where most of their friends are fairly same wealthy as them. Surely they grow up without having the sense of empathy. But I was thinking, how can you sleep tight at night while knowing that just few meters from you there are MANY people who can’t even afford to have small piece of place which make them don’t have any alternative but to live under the bridge with the open air. How can so many people in Indonesia do not have empathy at all? How can they be so ignorant?

I think this is the main problem happens to this country. Too many ignorant people (or so called greedy). That’s why here in Jakarta, you can easily find the phenomenon where those extremely rich people live side by side with those poor people whose main income comes from collecting garbage. It’s a moral degradation toward modern society. 



Olivia

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd like to read a comment from you!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts